The Office of the Honorary Consul in Birmingham
Birmingham City Council Windrush
Small Grants Programme
Birmingham City Council is offering grants of up to £2,000 for community groups and organisations to deliver projects that celebrate
and recognise the contribution of the Windrush generation and their descendants in Birmingham.
Deadline for applications is 5.00 PM Wednesday 13th April 2023
Call 0121 445 9816 to book an appointment
Mr Wade Lyn, CBE, CD, DL
Jamaica's Honorary Consul
About The Birmingham Office
JAMAICA HONORARY CONSUL REPRESENTATION
Honorary Consuls are appointed by the government of Jamaica in capitals of countries or in other major cities where there is no resident diplomatic or career consular representation.
These appointments are essentially non-remunerative, but provide an opportunity for a suitably qualified person to represent the government of Jamaica in the receiving state.
The principles for the appointment of honorary consuls are set out in the Vienna convention on consular affairs of 24th April 1963
Duties and responsibilities cover three segments:
PROMOTE THE INTERESTS OF JAMAICA
- Assist in the development and maintenance of trade, investment, tourism and cultural links between Jamaica and home base.
- Respond to negative reports on Jamaica or Jamaicans in the media of the receiving state
PROTECTION OF THE WELFARE OF JAMAICAN NATIONALS
Notify supertinding posts i our case or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and foreign trade of the arrest, detention or incarceration of nationals.
- provide assistance to arrested or incarcerated nationals, to the extent possible
- advise the superintending post of notifications of the impending deportation of Jamaican nationals;
- assist with the repatriation of distressed Jamaican nationals;
- provide assistance to Jamaican’s trading in, visiting or residing in the consular jurisdiction;
- assist the superintending post in maintaining a register of Jamaicans residing within the consular jurisdiction.
ISSUANCE OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS AND VISAS
- Process and transmit passport applications, with the attendant supporting documents and fees,
- Issue emergency travel documents, with the appropriate authorization from the ministry of national security, to Jamaican nationals;
- Issue visas, in accordance with the appropriate instructions and regulations, to persons wishing to travel to Jamaica
- Assistance to visiting Jamaican dignitaries and officials arrange/coordinate appointments and meetings with government officials and corporate interests in receiving state
- Participate in/extend courtesies at the airport to visiting dignitaries and officials
- Arrange meetings of visiting dignitaries/officials with Jamaican nationals’ resident in the jurisdiction
- Participate in meetings and events involving visiting officials and dignitaries, as directed
National Flower- Lignum Vitae
Business Hours - By Appointment Only
Address: c/o Cleone Foods Ltd
50 Icknield Street. Hockley. B18 5AY
Telephone No: 0121 445 9816